Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : – 303 | 3M | Auto Finesse | Bilt Hamber | Blackfire | Black Mamba | Bouncer's | Britemax | California Scents | CarPro | Chemical Guys | Collinite | Crakalicious | Dakota Products | Dodo Juice | G3 Pro | Gtechniq | Koch Chemie | Lake Country | Meguiars | Menzerna | Muc-Off | Nanolex | OPT | Pinnacle | Poorboys World | Rupes | Sam's Detailing | Scholl Concepts | Soft99 | Sonax | Sonus | Stoner | Valet Pro | Victoria Wax | Wolfgang | Zaino | e-Gift Certificates | Trade Accounts | www.DetailedClean.co.uk

Old 14-05-2021, 01:21 PM   #1
AdamC
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Screwfix Garage Shelving

Anyone got these?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/5-tier-st...x-1800mm/631pk

They look pretty good for the price.
Looking to put them in my single skin detatched garage that's not heated or dehumidified etc. Damp isn't too much of a problem but do get a little bit. I'm thinking maybe i'll need to treat the chipboard shelves before installing to help longevity.
AdamC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 01:44 PM   #2
nbray67
DW Superstar

Thanked 4,044 Times in 2,691 Posts
Garage
I don't think they are that strong if it's a single unit as the reviews suggest but are stronger with more than one.

I can vouch for these though from Homebase, very very sturdy and strong.
They may seem a bit more expensive but they are wider and a different quality altogether in terms of materials/construction etc...

I have these 2 in my garage, had to get the slightly smaller one (not as wide) due to my wall lengths but they are worth every penny imo.

https://www.homebase.co.uk/pinnacle-.../12823966.html

https://www.homebase.co.uk/4-tier-he.../12813467.html

They have full length wire heavy shelves but I had some 9mm MDF cut to size at B&Q for 3 of the shelves for a flatter surface for my detailing gear. I'll get a pic of them when I move the car out so you can see how much they can hold. I've got loads of gear on them with some pretty decent weight on them.

Last edited by nbray67; 14-05-2021 at 01:48 PM.
nbray67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 02:32 PM   #3
sharrkey
Orbital Oracle

I have one of these in my shed and it’s fantastic, excellent quality, sturdy thick shelves and a lot longer/wider and deeper than my other shelving

Screwfix

Others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
sharrkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 03:08 PM   #4
Darlofan

Thanked 2,102 Times in 1,394 Posts
Garage
I have similar in my garage and are great. Shelving adjusts in height so great for different height things.
All I would say with mine is the chipboard is thin so some shelves are dropping in the middle. Not sure of thickness of Screwfix ones. My garage is damp though so doesn't help chipboard items.

All mine stand alone too and I have no issues with stability.
Darlofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 04:28 PM   #5
steveo3002
Mr Sparkle

Thanked 1,425 Times in 1,076 Posts
Send a message via MSN to steveo3002
could always replace the chipboard with ply if it spoils

i think theyre alright , helps if more than one bolted together or fixed to the wall if you can
steveo3002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 04:38 PM   #6
Mcpx

I have the same, metal is thin and flexible and they are a pain to slot the first few bits together but once you add more to them they are much more robust than they seem. The thin chip shelves actually sit in a grove in the supports so even though they are not fixed, they help to maintain rigidity while at the same time giving the shelves all round support.

I have three bays of them with loads of stuff, been moved and re-aligned countless times and still good. Single bays might move a little but fixing to the wall makes them rock solid, mine are actually just cable tied to each other and I don’t have any issues.

Only potential problem is the shelves getting wet, mine have had a few spills and they dry up ok but not sure how they would do in a damp environment.
Mcpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 05:45 PM   #7
Andy from Sandy

Thanked 1,210 Times in 894 Posts
I bought something similar and it came with 6mm MDF shelves. Now no matter how I played around with the strap that goes across the middle it did nothing to support the shelves and they are somewhat caved in now.

At some point if I keep the racking I will need to get thicker shelves.
Andy from Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 06:27 PM   #8
Mcpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy View Post
I bought something similar and it came with 6mm MDF shelves. Now no matter how I played around with the strap that goes across the middle it did nothing to support the shelves and they are somewhat caved in now.

At some point if I keep the racking I will need to get thicker shelves.
The strap does not directly support the shelf, it is only there to stop the front and back rails from spreading apart, which in turn means that the rails support the shelf, if you get me? Without the strap the rails can be pulled away from each other, removing support from the shelf and allowing it to sag in the middle. Basically it keeps the front and back rails at a fixed distance.
Mcpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 06:57 PM   #9
ridders66
PC Perfectionist

I have four Dexion shelving units in my garage, I am sure you can pick these up from eBay fairly cheap. metal frame, metal shelves. They can be bolted to the wall, bolted together and the shelves won't warp like chipboard. I would avoid anything with MDF, if you get it wet it will turn into weetabix.
ridders66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 06:59 PM   #10
Andyblue
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 6,346 Times in 4,982 Posts
I know they're not exactly what you maybe after, but I've a couple of sets of Keter (I think) plastic 5 tier shelves from Homebase and they're great
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote