Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 05-05-2021, 03:34 PM   #1
G3 Matt
Washmitt Meister

1969 Austin Mini Super Deluxe

Hello folks.

I have recently become the proud custodian of a rather special little car. Registered in Jan 1969 in Dudley (West Midlands don't ya know...) and having had only 4 previous owners in the last 52 years, it's come home to the Black Country to hopefully live a peaceful and pampered retirement with me.

With it being a 1969 model that places it in the last year of Mini Mk2 production, (running from 67 - 69) so it retains a lot of the Mk1 Mini looks, sliding front windows, external door hinges, swing mounted rear numberplate, along with some features that were on the Mk3, namely larger rear window, larger rear lights etc.

My car is an 850 Super Deluxe, meaning a whole 34BHP, but it at least had some better standard kit than the basic Mini Saloon.

The previous owners purchased it in 2012 and had the vehicle restored professionally in 2015 at eye watering cost. Having done very limited mileage since then it's pretty much how it left the restorers.

So what am i to do with it? In short the plan was absolutely nothing, but having got the car home, certain things stood out as needing doing.

I'll get to the wish list of what's needed in a moment, in the meantime here's some pics of it as it arrived.

Now at home, the other half loves it!

The plans.....

Looking at the paint, it's obviously had a complete repaint inside and out, but was suffering with a number of swirled panels, and looked a little jaded in places.

Full wash and decontamintaion saw it back to bare bones, I then clayed the car with Bilt Hamber Auto Clay medium which removed very little.

I quickly established that the paint was rock hard, imaging 2000's VAG paint plus 20% so i decided to correct the paint using initially the Rotary and 3M Fast Cut Plus, then switching to the DA with Lake country orange pad, followed by the Megs DA correction system. I had to use the 3" shine mate DA for the tighter areas as despite being a small car, these Mini's are fiddly!!

Initial results were good. I'm not looking for a glass smooth mirror finish, more a respectable depth of shine, with limited defects. Bearing in mind the finish on these cars when new wasn't the greatest!

I continued round the car, and decided to remove the rear badging as they had reused the 52 yr old original badges and they have aged badly. I also removed the rear number plate swinging hanger, and have sent that off to be blasted and powder coated. Rear bumper also came off and it was much easier then to get the rear paintwork corrected as well.

Correct supplying dealer rear window sticker sourced and fitted..

The rear bumper was showing signs of pitting and was missing the overriders, so i have ordered new front and rear bumpers, new badges, set of overriders and some correct font number plates from Framptons.

I'll have more pictures soon.

Cheers

Matt
G3 Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to G3 Matt For This Useful Post:
Andyblue (07-05-2021), AndyQash (05-05-2021), bonelorry (10-05-2021), Caledoniandream (05-05-2021), cptzippy (07-05-2021), DC240S (07-05-2021), enc (05-05-2021), Ennoch (05-05-2021), GSVHammer (08-05-2021), kartman (05-05-2021), lincolndanny (05-05-2021), macca666 (10-05-2021), Mike1982 (05-05-2021), Mikesphotaes (05-05-2021), minimadmotorman (07-05-2021), Mr Ben (07-05-2021), President Swirl (06-05-2021), streaky (06-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 03:53 PM   #2
lincolndanny
PC Perfectionist

wow

Cant wait to follow this Matt, what a honey
lincolndanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:12 PM   #3
straight6hatch
PC Perfectionist

my goodness! What an absolute PEACH. Ive always had a soft spot for a classic mini but this is lush. Congratulations! Now, go easy with that 34HP, wouldnt want anyone to get hurt
straight6hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:15 PM   #4
AndyQash
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Great little car and looking really good after your efforts, looks like another thread to follow.
AndyQash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:00 PM   #5
AnthonyUK
PC Perfectionist

Absolutely gorgeous. Love it.
AnthonyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:00 PM   #6
kartman

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to kartman
Following this beaut, great purchase fella
kartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:04 PM   #7
Ennoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 Matt View Post
The rear bumper was showing signs of pitting and was missing the overriders, so i have ordered new front and rear bumpers, new badges, set of overriders and some correct font number plates from Framptons.
Looks cracking.

One note is that I would probably go down the route of getting your original parts re-chromed as they will be of much better quality than the predominantly thinner, low grade items you get as replacements these days.
Ennoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:16 PM   #8
G3 Matt
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennoch View Post
Looks cracking.

One note is that I would probably go down the route of getting your original parts re-chromed as they will be of much better quality than the predominantly thinner, low grade items you get as replacements these days.
I would agree with you wholeheartedly on this, alas i suspect that the original bumpers have been got rid of long ago and i'm now having to replace the thinner low grade items for probably the second time - at least!

I'll continue to scour the usual places in case i can come across genuine NOS item/s and hoard them away for the future. One good thing is that the front and rear bumpers on this Mini are identical so front fits rear and vice versa.
G3 Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:38 PM   #9
grunty-motor

Garage
Brilliant!

My first car was a mini 1100 special. I put Cooper S head on, twin SU, 285 cam, lightened flywheel, LCB, cage, etc. Loved it!!! The things i did in the back of that car
grunty-motor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:41 PM   #10
Ennoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 Matt View Post
I would agree with you wholeheartedly on this, alas i suspect that the original bumpers have been got rid of long ago and i'm now having to replace the thinner low grade items for probably the second time - at least!

I'll continue to scour the usual places in case i can come across genuine NOS item/s and hoard them away for the future. One good thing is that the front and rear bumpers on this Mini are identical so front fits rear and vice versa.
Ah, that's a shame. I wouldn't put off getting some corroded genuine ones if you can, stripping, de-rusting and re-chroming isn't that expensive in the grand scheme of things given how much the rest of the car is worth. The crying shame is that the originals probably ended up being melted down a long time ago in favour of the thin Chinese crap that comes up these days. A good mate of mine is involved in clearing out car collections etc, and deals with a lot of old British stuff. If I hear of anything that might be suitable for you I'll drop you a line to put you in touch.
Ennoch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ennoch For This Useful Post:
G3 Matt (06-05-2021)