Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Pre-wash stages, Washing, Drying, Clay & 'Quick Detailing'
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pre-wash stages, Washing, Drying, Clay & 'Quick Detailing' Discuss All your prewash stages- washing, claying, pre rinse , claying and drying

Old 13-05-2021, 12:05 PM   #1
straight6hatch
PC Perfectionist

Polish Angel Flake Shampoo Quick Review

Hi folks!

After posting a thread about PA Aqua and its 'interesting' wash dynamics, I thought I would pop a quick post up about my findings on Flake.

Pulled straight from the PA website:

Worldwide unique Carnaubawash with real Carnaubaflake
Special decalcified care water formula
No water or lime spots, AntiCalc formulation
No frothing, AntiFoam formulation
Special sealed packaging with rubber sealing insert
Perfect for all colours
Worldwide Unique!
Leaves no residue on plastic parts
200ml of FLAKE contains 100g of Carnaubaflake

Well, the instructions for application are pretty standard. I wont bore you with those.

I loaded up 30ml exactly and plunged it into the bucket of warm water.

I can testify that the info on the PA website is correct. Absolutely 0 suds and I even used really quite warm water. I even tried to agitate with the PW but still nothing. It was substantially more slick to use than Aqua though so that gave me some more confidence.

Here are my buckets after the wash. The one with the mitt in is the rinse bucket for reference. The eagle eyed of you will notice some fiberous residue in the wash bucket but thats just from my brand new mitt. The shampoo did have some rather strange silky strands in it before my mitt went in but after agitating with the PW they disappeared. I think this would be the actual carnuba in it. Cool!

I didnt take a picture of the wash stage as, quite simply, there was nothing to see. Its like washing the car with some slick water You can, however, see the wax working its magic and the water begins to 'split' and roll away as you wash.

Heres the finished product. Some points to make here. I used Aqua less than a week ago so the gloss from that was still there. This did leave a great finish, no doubts there. In my humble opinion, this isnt a miracle wash that would turn a poorly maintained car into a gleaming show winning champion. My car is well maintained, has little contamination and is still wearing the remnants of a ceramic wax. Its also be corrected in the last 6 months. Granted, it would benefit from a polish but you get the gist.

The last point ill make is the smell. Now, Aqua smelt great. For me, smell isnt everything but it does add to the experience. Flake smelt rather unusual. Minty is the closest word I can explain. Minty medicine. Im not sure how else to explain it

To summarise, it was good. Not excellent. Good. I understand its never going to be the best cleaner or the best at applying protection. For a quick 'all in one' it does a great job. As you can see the gloss is very good and the panels were all clean and 5/10 for slickness. I doubt I would buy this again and if I had paid full retail, I would be disappointed (thanks Noddy_r32 for taking the hit on that). Ill decide fully once ive used all of both the shampoos I have.

Thanks for reading!

Straight6hatch
straight6hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to straight6hatch For This Useful Post:
Dazzel81 (13-05-2021), RS3 (13-05-2021)
Old 13-05-2021, 12:26 PM   #2
\Rian
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Interesting, the car looks shiny but how shiny was it before, did it add any noticeable gloss?

I can see this being good if your limited to time or have a few cars to get done.

What price and economy like?
\Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to \Rian For This Useful Post:
straight6hatch (13-05-2021)
Old 13-05-2021, 01:08 PM   #3
straight6hatch
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian View Post
Interesting, the car looks shiny but how shiny was it before, did it add any noticeable gloss?

I can see this being good if your limited to time or have a few cars to get done.

What price and economy like?
Well, it was pretty glossy before if I so say so myself

I find gloss really difficult to determine. I dont have a gloss meter so its impossible to say. It was also a very sunny day which helps make it look more glossy IMO. I definitely found Aqua had more of a 'wow' moment with gloss. As I said, I had only used Aqua the week prior so it may still have been pretty glossy from that....difficult to say definitively.

Price and economy......well......not good

RRP for 200ML is £25.95.....
PA say 30ML per wash is correct.
My maths is terrible so please correct me if im wrong but that makes an awfully expensive wash cost. £3.89 per wash.....ouchie!
Old 13-05-2021, 01:09 PM   #4
Andyblue
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 6,356 Times in 4,992 Posts
Sounds very similar to a product I used many years ago - Hot wax, I think it was called, you added it to hot water, washed your car - zero suds, but it left a wax coating on.

Was one of those products that I used quite a bit, but then for some reason didn’t bother with…
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 01:25 PM   #5
straight6hatch
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyblue View Post
Sounds very similar to a product I used many years ago - Hot wax, I think it was called, you added it to hot water, washed your car - zero suds, but it left a wax coating on.

Was one of those products that I used quite a bit, but then for some reason didn’t bother with…
To be honest with you Andy, im quite content with my pure shampoo and then adding protection after. I wanted to jump into some PA stuff and after Noddy_r32 posted some items up for sale, I was too late to the party to nab a QD which is what I really wanted. I settled for the shampoo's but I doubt ill be returning to a 'wash and wax' style system
The Following User Says Thank You to straight6hatch For This Useful Post:
Andyblue (13-05-2021)
Old 13-05-2021, 01:55 PM   #6
Andyblue
Distinguished Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6hatch View Post
To be honest with you Andy, im quite content with my pure shampoo and then adding protection after. I wanted to jump into some PA stuff and after Noddy_r32 posted some items up for sale, I was too late to the party to nab a QD which is what I really wanted. I settled for the shampoo's but I doubt ill be returning to a 'wash and wax' style system

Not tried any of the PA stuff, but it does seem to get a good review / following …

I’m the same, happy to wash and then add a top up either as a drying aid or afterwards
The Following User Says Thank You to Andyblue For This Useful Post:
straight6hatch (13-05-2021)
Old 13-05-2021, 04:36 PM   #7
straight6hatch
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyblue View Post
Not tried any of the PA stuff, but it does seem to get a good review / following …

I’m the same, happy to wash and then add a top up either as a drying aid or afterwards
I agree. The almost cult following got me interested. I was disappointed by the shampoo but I hope to pick up a bottle of their QD which should live up to my high expectations
The Following User Says Thank You to straight6hatch For This Useful Post:
Andyblue (13-05-2021)
Old 13-05-2021, 07:35 PM   #8
Andyblue
Distinguished Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6hatch View Post
I agree. The almost cult following got me interested. I was disappointed by the shampoo but I hope to pick up a bottle of their QD which should live up to my high expectations
Hopefully
Old 13-05-2021, 07:48 PM   #9
bellguy
PC Perfectionist

Garage
I have been happy with all my PA products except the shampoos which for me are a huge let down, used some of a friend's as he hated it and thought he had misused it, he hadn't it's just not a great product as far as I am concerned and if the shampoos would have been my first foray into PA I would probably have not tried anything else lol.

Maybe if you don't have a high quality finish you may see better results but my paint is in very decent shape so no improvement really, just warm semi slippy water which did not impress one little bit.
So while I like most PA products I am certainly no fanboy
bellguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bellguy For This Useful Post:
straight6hatch (14-05-2021)
Old 14-05-2021, 03:14 PM   #10
straight6hatch
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellguy View Post
I have been happy with all my PA products except the shampoos which for me are a huge let down, used some of a friend's as he hated it and thought he had misused it, he hadn't it's just not a great product as far as I am concerned and if the shampoos would have been my first foray into PA I would probably have not tried anything else lol.

Maybe if you don't have a high quality finish you may see better results but my paint is in very decent shape so no improvement really, just warm semi slippy water which did not impress one little bit.
So while I like most PA products I am certainly no fanboy
For sure! It was a let down if im being blunt about it. For all the ranting and raving over PA stuff, I was quite disappointed. In my typical luck, ive chosen to go for their worst rated products

Might try one of their much better rated products and see how I go. Shame really as I really wanted to like it!