Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Pre-wash stages, Washing, Drying, Clay & 'Quick Detailing'
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pre-wash stages, Washing, Drying, Clay & 'Quick Detailing' Discuss All your prewash stages- washing, claying, pre rinse , claying and drying

Old 31-10-2020, 10:31 AM   #1
PaulDW
Unwashed Member

Garage
Question Does a grit guard have to fit the bucket snugly?

alert and just been unpacking lots of orders that have arrived this week including a largish one from Slims detailing.

I ordered a pair of buckets that came with free gritguard / bucket barriers here https://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/col...bucket-barrier but they are not snug in the bottom of the bucket?

Should they be to be more effective, Im assuming they should but I could be wrong and dont want to contact them if so?
PaulDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 10:55 AM   #2
nbray67
DW Superstar

Thanked 3,684 Times in 2,500 Posts
Garage
I've had a similar looking grit guard that seemed to fit ok until I filled the bucket with water which made it float in the bucket so no use whatsoever.

I switched to Chemical Guys Cyclone's and never looked back. I have the Megs yellow buckets though but the Cyclone fits quite tightly, is heavier and stays put once it's filled with water.

https://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/pro...-bucket-insert
nbray67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 10:58 AM   #3
ross@anachem
DW Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to ross@anachem
I'm going to be honest - at the price, they're obviously cheaper buckets and grit guards which have been bought separately and work together, so as you describe wouldn't be an entirely snug fit.

As to the effectiveness of them compared to proper fitting ones? I'm not honestly sure. They might not be quite as effective, but they're better than no grit guards at all!

As @nbray67 says, floating grit guards may be the issue

use code DW10 on checkout for 10% off
ross@anachem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 11:05 AM   #4
Derek-Eddleston
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbray67 View Post
I've had a similar looking grit guard that seemed to fit ok until I filled the bucket with water which made it float in the bucket so no use whatsoever.

I switched to Chemical Guys Cyclone's and never looked back. I have the Megs yellow buckets though but the Cyclone fits quite tightly, is heavier and stays put once it's filled with water.

https://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/pro...-bucket-insert
I thought it was just me The sellers could at least advise what size buckets the guards will fit.

Useless

Derek.
Derek-Eddleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 12:20 PM   #5
PaulDW
Unwashed Member

Garage
Yeah I had a feeling they should fit better :-( Bit annoying to be honest, think Ill email them to see what they say and maybe get them to fit one of the cyclones in the same bucket and see if it's a better fit too.
Old 31-10-2020, 12:55 PM   #6
Andy from Sandy
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,107 Times in 817 Posts
I cannot remember the make of mine but clearly the first feature is they shouldn't float regardless of how they fit in the bucket. Mine are not snug as in an interference fit and they don't float.

I had money when I bought them so I wasn't particularly concerned about price. They might be the Miguiar's buckets and guards.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/ca...rd-512845.html
Andy from Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 04:32 PM   #7
P2K
Washmitt Meister

I had the same issue, bought a cheap bucket and grit guard from ebay.

Both the bucket and guard are from the same manufacturer and I did my research to check that they are to be used together before I purchased them.

Suffice to say they came and the grit guard is approx 20mm diameter smaller than the diameter at the bottom of the bucket.

When filling with water it does float but I just push it to the bottom and it still sits there.
I now use this one as my wheel bucket.

For reference they are MOGG105 20L Detaling Bucket and MOGG79 Bucket Grit Guard MK1 both by By Martin Cox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy View Post
I had money when I bought them so I wasn't particularly concerned about price. They might be the Miguiar's buckets and guards.
The wife then bought me the Meguiars bucket and grit guard and it fits perfectly, nice and snug at the bottom.
Maybe the one you have is for a different Meguiars bucket??

As for a difference in performance, the logic of the guard is to stop the grit coming above the guard when the water is swirled around, therefore I would say that if the guard doesn't fit snugly then the grit could and probably will, come up the sides.

How much is debatable but in my opinion it wouldn't be as good as a correctly fitting grit guard but still better then not having one at all.
P2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 04:55 PM   #8
PaulDW
Unwashed Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by P2K View Post
I had the same issue, bought a cheap bucket and grit guard from ebay.
For reference they are MOGG105 20L Detaling Bucket and MOGG79 Bucket Grit Guard MK1 both by By Martin Cox.
That's exactly what I got but via Slims detailing, I have emailed them a few hours ago but no reply yet, to be fair a weekends gonna be busy so Im quite happy to give them a chance to reply and see what they suggest.
Old 31-10-2020, 05:40 PM   #9
AndyQash
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDW View Post
That's exactly what I got but via Slims detailing, I have emailed them a few hours ago but no reply yet, to be fair a weekends gonna be busy so Im quite happy to give them a chance to reply and see what they suggest.
Hi Paul...if you don't get a response from Slim's let us know and I'll message you the contact details of the Marketing Director of The Morelli Group which is the parent company of Slim's, he's a really helpful guy and has a knack of moving things along.
AndyQash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 09:29 PM   #10
macmaw
Orbital Oracle

I would say a grit guard that floats is a bit annoying at worst, but still does the job of preventing your wash mitt etc. touching the bottom, you will be pushing the grit guard down each time you dunk so will still be ok.
macmaw is offline   Reply With Quote