Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Ask Mike Phillips
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask Mike Phillips A forum dedicated to questions to Mike Phillips.

Old 30-10-2020, 07:57 PM   #11
macca666
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,413 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Al View Post
Is this the one time that using diesel is a lifesaver ...gloves happen on auto pilot

I will add that some gloves don’t seem to work with some touchscreens in UK super-markets
Please chime in anyone who has found ones that work, I use thicker ones that sit on the dashboard in between trips
To uv sterilise (don’t get out much) 3 days of summer daylight will do the job
I sometimes use my black bodyguards which work. They also work io my phone touchscreen when I'm working in the garage
macca666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 08:53 PM   #12
P2K
Washmitt Meister

Great article Mike.

I tend to use the clear gloves at the petrol station.

They may not be the best or the best fitting but they provide a barrier between my hand and the pump which is what is important.
P2K is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P2K For This Useful Post:
Mike Phillips (30-10-2020), Rappy (30-10-2020)
Old 30-10-2020, 09:20 PM   #13
Rappy
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2K View Post
Great article Mike.

They may not be the best or the best fitting but they provide a barrier between my hand and the pump which is what is important.
I do the same. I know they are mainly for diesel cars. But, I wear them regardless of what fuel I'm using.
Rappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 09:31 PM   #14
Mike Phillips
Detailing Guru

Thanked 1,238 Times in 435 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by P2K View Post
Great article Mike.

Copy that and a lot less harmful to the environment.

I too have picked up a box of clear food prep gloves, very thin but stout enough to do the job and then dispose.

Stay safe my friends...

Mike Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 09:55 PM   #15
HEADPHONES

I'll use paper towels or the disposable gloves for our diesel if they're supplied.
Always have some sanitizer gel now for the petrol and even after disposing of the glove/towels for diesel.
HEADPHONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 10:06 PM   #16
John-R-

Been using some Anti-Bac wipes, use them for the keypad then wrap around the pump handle for the dispensing of the fuel.
Since this all started we've been keeping a pack in all of our cars for wiping down shopping trolleys etc before use.

John
John-R- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 01:59 PM   #17
DannyRS3

So to avoid germs wear gloves? Man that is useful to know. Thanks for including photos!
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Mikesphotaes (31-10-2020)
Old 31-10-2020, 03:24 PM   #18
Mike Phillips
Detailing Guru

Thanked 1,238 Times in 435 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRS3 View Post

So to avoid germs wear gloves? Man that is useful to know.

Thanks for including photos!

Yep... that's what I do, generate content for the boat and car detailing world an in this case, health safety.

I haven't actually seen anyone else anywhere in the online car detailing world create an article like this at the ONSET of Covid-19 - so this was just my attempt to help my fellow detailer.

Just to note - I wrote the original version of this and shared it the night before I left for the 2020 Mobile Tech Expo, the largest trade show of it's kind for the car detailing world in the U.S.A.

Here's the link to the original,

How to avoid germs - Gas Station

Here's the time stamp for when I posted it.

01-28-2020, 10:55 PM

At least in the USA - knowledge of the Covid-19 Pandemic was still in the very early stages, it had not hit the tipping point yet.

I put this practice into place, (wearing gloves to get gas), years ago because I travel a lot and when I arrive to my destination, either to teach a car detailing class or few years earlier, for TV work, the last thing I want to do is be sick - with anything. It takes a LOT of energy to do both, teach classes or film TV.

So I simply shared on the AGO forum and then this one - a simple thing we can all do, especially since most of us already have some type of nitrile glove in our car detailing arsenal, to help protect yourself, your family, friends and even customers from catching the germs on the gas pump handle.

Simple yes. Easy to do? Also yes.

I teach 8 classes each year at Mobile Tech Expo, up to 100+ people in each class. Then man a booth for the next two days doing demos, answering questions etc.

2020 Mobile Tech Expo Class Schedule for Education Day on Thursday in Orlando, Florida

Immediately AFTER Mobile Tech Expo, I teach a 2-day boat class followed by a 3-day car detailing class.

Pictures: 2020 Boat Detailing Class - SOLD OUT!

Pictures: February 2020 - 100% Hands-On Detailing Classes

And for myself personally, when I have so many other people invested in attending, (travel costs, hotels costs, rental cars, meals on the road plus the cost of the class), my personal discipline is to do everything within my control to avoid getting sick. It takes a lot of energy to put on the hands-on style classes I teach plus it's simply no fun to teach a class when you don't feel good.

So yeah, I shared my personal best practice with the detailing world at large on this forum the AGO forum and my FB page as my small effort to help my fellow man avoid the Covid-19 virus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRS3 View Post

So to avoid germs wear gloves? Man that is useful to know.

Thanks for including photos!

I would say about 99.9% of the people that have read this simple article have actually said thank you.

I may not have done anything earth shattering by sharing the simple concept of wearing gloves before touching the handle of a gas pump that thousands of the unwashed masses have touched before you that DON'T practice good hygiene, but it simply comes natural to me to try to help others.

And I do include a lot of pictures in my how-to articles. Like the saying goes,

A picture tells a thousand words...

Stay safe my friend - for yourself as well as family and friends...

Like others I hope and look forward to the day when this horrible plague is behind us and we can return to normal - whatever normal looks like post-Covid-19

Mike Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 04:38 PM   #19
Andyblue
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 5,314 Times in 4,206 Posts
Been using gloves for a long time now (way before Covid-19), so kind of second nature now, but since Covid, I take my own gloves rather than using the supplied ones (that’s if they actually have any)...
Andyblue is online now   Reply With Quote