Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here. Sponsored by CleanYourCar

Old 08-08-2020, 01:51 PM   #21
muzzer

Thanked 5,962 Times in 3,795 Posts
Garage
That is a gorgeous colour and looks to be an amazing paint job. Very nice indeed.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:11 PM   #22
WRX
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo View Post
Small world, eh? You must have just missed mine I think.

His work is great, but he is very busy. It probably took the best part of two years from initially taking the car to get a quote to having it finished, but he knew I wanted a great job done, and I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

Interesting that you've opted for the same colour! It looks fantastic in the sun, be prepared for it to almost look a bit of a 'flat maroon' type colour under certain lights.

It's a really exciting paint that bursts to life in certain scenarios.

The rocker cover is mine indeed. I've not taken any pics as it's hidden in the bay, which I'm still yet to have a chance to clean up. I need to try and capture that on a sunny day too.

Best of luck with your paint job, I'd love to see it when it's done if you remember.

For anyone who's wondering what WRX is referring to, this is the rocker cover:

I was torn between BMW Sakhir Orange which looks red in certain lights or going full blown red. He advised me to go to BMW to check out the orange in person and if I decided I wanted red then Mazda soul red was the best red available. I went to BMW but they had no M cars in Sakhir orange so I did some research on the Mazda red and lived it. I put the deposit down that afternoon and it’s booked in for a week Tuesday. I should have it back in approximately 4-5 weeks. We could meet up when mine is done if you wanted and get some photos of 2 Jap cars with the same unusual paint jobs. That would be cool, it would probably turn some heads as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:58 PM   #23
gatecrasher3
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyk3d View Post
Okay Bildo this is just teasing now.

I think we need full photos of the interior, exterior and under the bonnet. This is a thing of absolute beauty. I love it to the point that now you have me curiously looking for an S15 as a project car.
We definitely do.

Lot's more photos please.
gatecrasher3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:40 PM   #24
grunty-motor
Orbital Oracle

Quote:

Would the PPF really make a huge difference over the ceramic coat? Gah. You guys are almost swaying me.

I have PPF on both cars and also ceramic (one professional and the other DIY install). I also had PPF on a couple of bikes.

If your primer/undercoat is a different colour to the topcoat (and i imagine soul red is) then PPF just simple eradicates the chance of stone chips.

ceramic only makes it easier to clean

personal opinion......PPF first (you can go bumper, bonnet, a-pillars, whole car - basically whatever you want). Bumper and 1/4 bonnet is a good compromise on protection v cost. Then, add ceramic coatings yourself.
grunty-motor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 01:01 AM   #25
bildo

Send a message via MSN to bildo
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyk3d View Post
Okay Bildo this is just teasing now.

I think we need full photos of the interior, exterior and under the bonnet. This is a thing of absolute beauty. I love it to the point that now you have me curiously looking for an S15 as a project car.
This made me chuckle

The interior isn't really anything to rave about, but I'll get a couple of snaps when I get a chance. I really need to wet vac the seats, it's next on my list.

Under the bonnet, there are a few nice JDM goodies, but it's nothing wild. It's more or less a 300hp fast-road setup with a fast-spooling HKS hybrid turbo.

I'll get some pics when I get a chance. I am yet to get some proper sunshine on the rocker cover, so I'll try and do that sometime. The bonnet makes it a challenge.

Love how you're looking for an S15 after seeing this, that's awesome. Prices are pretty high, unfortunately, but your best bet (if it's going to be a crazy build) would be to get the N/A Spec S, as they're far cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzer View Post
That is a gorgeous colour and looks to be an amazing paint job. Very nice indeed.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX View Post
I was torn between BMW Sakhir Orange which looks red in certain lights or going full blown red. He advised me to go to BMW to check out the orange in person and if I decided I wanted red then Mazda soul red was the best red available. I went to BMW but they had no M cars in Sakhir orange so I did some research on the Mazda red and lived it. I put the deposit down that afternoon and it’s booked in for a week Tuesday. I should have it back in approximately 4-5 weeks. We could meet up when mine is done if you wanted and get some photos of 2 Jap cars with the same unusual paint jobs. That would be cool, it would probably turn some heads as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know the paint. It's really nice, but a bit too orange for me personally.

I had to drive past the local Mazda dealership almost every day for those 13 months. I knew I'd made the right decision.

Sounds exciting! Sure, give me a message when things are done and we'll see what we can sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatecrasher3 View Post
We definitely do.

Lot's more photos please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunty-motor View Post
I have PPF on both cars and also ceramic (one professional and the other DIY install). I also had PPF on a couple of bikes.

If your primer/undercoat is a different colour to the topcoat (and i imagine soul red is) then PPF just simple eradicates the chance of stone chips.

ceramic only makes it easier to clean

personal opinion......PPF first (you can go bumper, bonnet, a-pillars, whole car - basically whatever you want). Bumper and 1/4 bonnet is a good compromise on protection v cost. Then, add ceramic coatings yourself.
I've had two PPF quotes so far, and they've been pretty eye-watering (around £2,000 inc vat for just the front end.)

Certainly not something I can justify for the time being, unfortunately, as much as I would love it.
bildo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bildo For This Useful Post:
spyk3d (10-08-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 10:08 AM   #26
Imprezaworks
Orbital Oracle

Proper
Imprezaworks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Imprezaworks For This Useful Post:
bildo (09-08-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 01:09 PM   #27
bildo

Probably not what most of you are hoping to see, but I'm not really enjoying having a car with NO protection on it, so today has been a test day.

Thankfully, in the couple of years I've been 'out' of the detailing game to some extent, IODETAIL have opened up just down the road, so I went to pay them a trip yesterday to pick up some new products.

I couldn't resist the DI Vessel, so hopefully cleaning is going to be a lot easier from now on.

For a polish, they decided it would be best to keep things simple on the soft paint, so I went with CarPro Reflect and a black Hex Logic pad.

I have this roof spoiler which the bodyshop never fitted, as they weren't happy with how it sat, and they knew how picky I am, so it was left off for the time being, but it's ended up being a handy test panel.

I am undecided on whether I want to go down the wax/sealant/ceramic route on the car at the moment, but I still had quite a bit of Sonax PNS/BSD combo left over, so I'm going to give it a try for the time being and see how that goes.

I opted to polish/seal half the spoiler to see how it looks over time, before I do the whole car.

A few pics to show the paint at different angles/in different lights. It's almost marroon at times, but it comes to life in the light, with crazy flake pop and it sometimes goes a burnt orange type colour. If you turn to a different angle, it changes drastically. I absolutely love it.

So, here's a few pics with Refect & PNS for the time being. I'll apply some BSD (maybe 50:50 with C7) on top of the PNS soon. I've missed the mental beading these products give.

Last edited by bildo; 09-08-2020 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:38 PM   #28
grunty-motor
Orbital Oracle

Quote:

I've had two PPF quotes so far, and they've been pretty eye-watering (around £2,000 inc vat for just the front end.)

Certainly not something I can justify for the time being, unfortunately, as much as I would love it.
thats crazy - i was £600 for front bumper and 1/4 bonnet on X3. I know its a lot of money, but good piece of mind on a new car, especially if you are driving all year, all weather

For yours, how much would a bumper/ bonnet respray cost? Guessing <£600?

Just love that colour though!
grunty-motor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:52 AM   #29
vsideboy

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vsideboy Send a message via MSN to vsideboy
really nice that my mate.
vsideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:59 AM   #30
bildo

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunty-motor View Post
thats crazy - i was £600 for front bumper and 1/4 bonnet on X3. I know its a lot of money, but good piece of mind on a new car, especially if you are driving all year, all weather

For yours, how much would a bumper/ bonnet respray cost? Guessing <£600?

Just love that colour though!
I tried three companies.

One gave me that quote.

One gave an even higher quote with an 'instant' pricing.

The other one is yet to reply.

In all honesty, I would probably consider £600, but I'm yet to find the magic PPFer at that price!