Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 04-09-2020, 11:07 AM   #1
Muska
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Zymol Atomic Graphene Shield - Initial thoughts

As a bit of an early adopter for this product I thought it might be beneficial to offer some insight into how I find it. I've no experience of a Graphene product and previously on my R32 I've been very happy with 2 coats of Gyeon CanCoat topped with Polish Angel high Gloss or Zaino Grand Finale.

Before I consider stripping things back and applying to my car the test bed will be the Wife's White A Class! She does around 3/400 miles a week and depending on my shift pattern it can go from 1 week to 2 weeks between maintenance washes. I've used only the bonnet for now, which had no prior coating applied.

Washed with CarPro Reset (all future washes will be with this shampoo also)
Prepped with CarPro Eraser.
CanCoat applied to drivers side with a microfiber applicator
Zymol Atomic Graphene shield applied to passenger side with a microfiber applicator.

First thoughts. It definitely goes on easy. Not 'grabby' when buffing off like CanCoat can be and definitely more slickness on that half of the panel.

I've not told the Wife which side is which, so she can give an unbiased opinion. The car is daily driven so I'll see what water behaviour is like over the weekend after CanCoat is cured and I'll go from there.

Offside

Nearside, obviously neither showing too much, white car not helping much there either.

If there are any requests I'll be happy to take them. I was thinking for the first couple of weeks to observe and wash as normal. After that I do have products such as CarPro Multi X, Surfex, Bilt Hamber Auto Foam if chemical resistance would be helpful.

*Just to be clear this is not intended to be a scientific test. I look forward to watching those on YouTube

Hopefully this proves useful. I've not done anything like this before so please feel free to steer me if needed! I'll try to include plenty of images and short video clips to support.

Last edited by Muska; 10-09-2020 at 04:06 PM.
Muska is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Muska For This Useful Post:
Alan W (04-09-2020), atbalfour (04-09-2020), bildo (04-09-2020), budgetplan1 (04-09-2020), CharliesTTS (04-09-2020), DIESEL DAVE (04-09-2020), ganwilliams (07-09-2020), Itstony (05-09-2020), lloydrm (05-09-2020), Loach (05-09-2020), LostVulpine (04-09-2020), nbray67 (04-09-2020), pt1 (09-09-2020), Rappy (14-11-2020), roscopervis (04-09-2020), Trix (05-09-2020), vectra (05-09-2020), Zebra (05-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 11:19 AM   #2
straight6hatch
Washmitt Meister

Great idea! Always handy to get a first hand review of a new product. Its geared up to be the replacement for the 'ceramic' spray sealants which appeal to me at the moment. Be interesting to see some beading and of course, longjevity!

Out of interest, I noticed when you prepped the surface you used Carpro Eraser. I was under the impression that this product was more designed to remove polish and oils rather than a decon like you'd expect for applying a sealant. Have I got this right or am I way off? Either way, interested to see the results!
straight6hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to straight6hatch For This Useful Post:
Muska (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 11:19 AM   #3
RaceGlazer
Approved Trader

Thanked 1,749 Times in 1,207 Posts
Garage
Thank you for posting this.

I just hope your wife doesn't read DW !

www.raceglaze.co.uk
www.morethanpolish.com
www.carcovershop.co.uk
RaceGlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RaceGlazer For This Useful Post:
Muska (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 11:23 AM   #4
Alan W
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,561 Times in 2,645 Posts
Garage
Nice review and thanks for posting - look forward to updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muska View Post
I was thinking for the first couple of weeks to observe and wash as normal. After that I do have products such as CarPro Multi X, Surfex, Bilt Hamber Auto Foam if chemical resistance would be helpful.
No need for 'chemical resistance' testing in my opinion, I'd much prefer to see normal/regular washes to prove real world durability.

Alan W
Alan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Alan W For This Useful Post:
atbalfour (04-09-2020), Itstony (05-09-2020), Muska (04-09-2020), Sheep (04-09-2020), streaky (05-09-2020), Trix (05-09-2020), Zebra (05-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 11:29 AM   #5
Muska
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6hatch View Post
Out of interest, I noticed when you prepped the surface you used Carpro Eraser. I was under the impression that this product was more designed to remove polish and oils rather than a decon like you'd expect for applying a sealant. Have I got this right or am I way off? Either way, interested to see the results!
Thanks, good question! The CarPro blurb states it should prep a panel better than just an IPA mix. I clayed the car when we first got it around April so relatively happy it shouldn't need too much in the way of decon, although it wouldn't have hurt.
Muska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:33 AM   #6
cangri
PC Perfectionist

Send a message via Yahoo to cangri
Great test. Let`s see the results.
cangri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cangri For This Useful Post:
Muska (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 11:35 AM   #7
nicks16v
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Nice, thanks for taking the time to test it, I'm sure that we are all wondering how Atomic it really is.
As above, no need for chemical resistance for me, just a real world test on how it fairs against the can coat side will do me.

Will be interesting to see how it stacks up to can coat, I'm sure that this is just the start of many new 'Graphene' (maybe not atomic ones) spray sealants that will start to pop up from other manufacturers, but it will be interesting to see how much this is down to the 'Graphene' in it (not sure how much is actually in it) or down to something else in it.
nicks16v is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nicks16v For This Useful Post:
Muska (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 11:38 AM   #8
straight6hatch
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muska View Post
Thanks, good question! The CarPro blurb states it should prep a panel better than just an IPA mix. I clayed the car when we first got it around April so relatively happy it shouldn't need too much in the way of decon, although it wouldn't have hurt.
Thank you!
I have a part bottle of it kicking about somewhere that I used in June after a machine polish. I found it did what it said on the tin! I think my only disappointment with it was that it doesnt strip existing sealants (seemingly nothing does with these concrete like sealants lol).

Cant argue with your logic if its been decon'd in April. Also, interestingly, I would be applying this over the top of whatever I had with minimal prep as I dont often get time. So, in reality, your test actually works better for me as a real world idea
straight6hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to straight6hatch For This Useful Post:
Muska (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 12:02 PM   #9
bildo

Send a message via MSN to bildo
Fascinated to see how this goes, thanks for doing the test.

I tried doing a bit of research on this product to see if there was anything else online, and I stumbled upon this thread, which may help others further down the line:
https://www.autopia.org/forums/car-d...-shield-3.html

Long story short, someone applied it over CQuartz UK, which they'd attempted to remove by machine polishing wth Reflect, which looked like it had done so with a water test. This was followed up with Eraser.

Next day, the paint didn't look 'clear', and after talking to the Zymol CEO (they're clearly trying hard with this product) he was informed that he HAS to use HD Cleanse (NEW formula) as it contains Sio2 cleaners to remove things properly. An entire bottle of HD Cleanse, to be precise.

Doing so eventually seemed to rectify the issue.

Although they seem happy since then, it does go to show that initial prep may be important with this product.

I'm hoping that it's as good as Zymol are making out, but I am naturally skeptical of most new 'groundbreaking' products - I really hope it proves me wrong.

Chances are that OP won't see this 'lack of clarity' on white paint, so it could be good to see it on a darker car, too, if possible.

I'd also like to see how it does with typical maintenance on one car, and the harsh chemicals idea on another.
bildo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bildo For This Useful Post:
Muska (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 01:37 PM   #10
atbalfour

Thanked 1,125 Times in 718 Posts
Garage
In relation to maintenance washes, just do whatever you normally do.

If you wash your car with a snow foam each wash (as I do) then continue to do that - if you don't then don't. Make the test work for you rather than us

The one thing I would say about Cancoat (same may apply to the Zymol, no idea) is to leave it 7 days before washing.
atbalfour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to atbalfour For This Useful Post:
Muska (04-09-2020)