Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General Off Topic > Off Topic Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28-09-2020, 12:22 PM   #11
Cookeh
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Sweden's idea was not an idea at all. They cannot introduce a lockdown as it violates numerous Swedish laws (most importantly the 'Allemansrätt' law, which basically means you have the right to move and travel freely anywhere in the country).

Furthermore, it is hardly a successful route when you compare it to countries like South Korea. If Sweden had a higher population and a higher population density their policy would not be nearly as effective as it appears.

If you look at the statistics they have similar cases to us. 600 daily amongst a population of 10mil, we have 5000 daily amongst a population of 67mil. Considering the population density of Sweden is 25 per km², relative to our 275 per km², it's pretty hard to say that Sweden's approach is working better than anyone elses.

By no means am I saying we are handling this well, as we have far too many degenerate and whiny individuals protesting and resisting the use of masks or proper social distancing, but the grass is always greener argument needs to be put in its place.
Cookeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cookeh For This Useful Post:
roscopervis (28-09-2020)
Old 28-09-2020, 12:35 PM   #12
Kerr
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 8,321 Times in 5,207 Posts
We can't afford another lockdown. It really can't happen.

We as are still going to see blatant disregard and disrespectful behaviour even when it's clear we are heading the wrong way fast. It's just the nature of many in the country now.
Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 12:41 PM   #13
SteveW
Washmitt Meister

I read somewhere this morning (annoyingly I can't find it now or I'd link to it) that the hospitality industry was responsible for 3% of the cases in the last week, compared to schools and care homes being responsible for two thirds of cases.

Yet the schools will stay open.
SteveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 12:50 PM   #14
MDC250
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,695 Times in 2,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdazza View Post
Not sure about a national lockdown, however I suspect there may be increasing local lockdowns, such that it could cover most of the country, thus effectively becoming a national lockdown that govt can pass the buck to local authorities - "it wasn't us, it was demanded by local authorities"

This.

On schools they made the bubbles entire year groups, but then realised the obvious that this was rapidly becoming a de facto school closure in many places. I don’t think it was actually a rule change more implementation but PHE have it as only those sat on same table/within 2 metres who are exposed for 15 mins + to isolate and get tested.

On pubs, 10pm closure is a bad idea as everybody is mass congregating, stretching police, transport etc. Burnham and others already calling for it to be looked at.

Unis, terrible idea and all driven by Unis wanting and needing the income with foreign student income down and getting Halls fees for 1st years. All borne out of fear of being sued for not providing face to face tuition which most students probably don’t want. Govt should have subbed Unis lost income on accommodation as will cost more in wider healthcare etc. 1st semester should have been on line with Govt either indemnifying Unis or putting through some form of legislation to stop any claims being made. Simple as.

The depressing thing is still the lack of cohesive planning, read over the weekend we can’t even manufacture the glass to make vials for a vaccine and will be caught short on logistical/transport support should one materialise.
MDC250 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MDC250 For This Useful Post:
roscopervis (28-09-2020), SteveW (28-09-2020)
Old 28-09-2020, 12:58 PM   #15
petemattw
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Send a message via MSN to petemattw
My brother is director of finance for part of nhs England. I’ve got a good nhs insight as I used to work in the nhs have contact with a lot of old colleagues. It’s not so much the number of people who are returning positive results. But the fact that the icu wards are filling up. No one wants to need up there, or worse, one of the nightingale hospitals that have been a set up, but if people continue mixing and infections go up it stands to reason people will go to nightingale hospitals, they are NOT as affective as regular hospitals, this is the reason for the worry, not the increase in arbitrary numbers. When people are dying in the exhibition centres, like the NEC nightingale hospital, perhaps they will realise there was a reason for trying to get people to socially distanced...
petemattw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 01:00 PM   #16
Kerr
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 8,321 Times in 5,207 Posts
My daughter's University course is virtual this term. I doubt they'll be back soon.

The student's accommodation up here has been out of control. Even with hundreds of positive tests and students supposed to self isolate there was mass parties every night. The police were required every night.

It looks like people are stocking up for another lockdown. The panic buying has kicked in again.
Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 01:05 PM   #17
MDC250
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,695 Times in 2,867 Posts
One of the local Unis is insisting staff provide 6 hours face to face tuition. The Uni is said to be “Covid Secure”, whatever that means. Lecturers are not to wear face masks as it would impede some students from understanding what is being said. Viral loading is the issue here even with somewhat smaller numbers on campus.
MDC250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 03:19 PM   #18
muzzer

Thanked 5,943 Times in 3,788 Posts
Garage
According to my step son, the local Asda has had its shelves stripped bare by the local panic buyers. The same people who insisted the government cant tell them what to do.

Abject muppetry
Old 28-09-2020, 03:27 PM   #19
kingswood
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
I read somewhere this morning (annoyingly I can't find it now or I'd link to it) that the hospitality industry was responsible for 3% of the cases in the last week, compared to schools and care homes being responsible for two thirds of cases.

Yet the schools will stay open.

This.....?

Schools need to stay open. Care homes need to stay open. Workplace need to stay open. Hospitals need to stay open. Prisons need to stay open.....or shut!

Interesting to see what comes under the ‘other’ assume shops and private homes and maybe.....whispering......gyms :-(

Looking at the above King Boris needs to admit he got it wrong about the 10pm and change it back to 1 am so people leave in a steady stream.

Be the mark of the man if he can admit he was wrong. Unfortunately due to politics, not science, it’s better to look arrogant than incompetent.

But again looking at the pie what can you close?

Nothing. We need to continue what we’re doin, distance, masks and hygiene - shame we needed a pandemic to remind us of that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kingswood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kingswood For This Useful Post:
SteveW (28-09-2020)
Old 28-09-2020, 03:48 PM   #20
SteveW
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingswood View Post
This.....?

Schools need to stay open. Care homes need to stay open. Workplace need to stay open. Hospitals need to stay open. Prisons need to stay open.....or shut!

Interesting to see what comes under the ‘other’ assume shops and private homes and maybe.....whispering......gyms :-(

Looking at the above King Boris needs to admit he got it wrong about the 10pm and change it back to 1 am so people leave in a steady stream.

Be the mark of the man if he can admit he was wrong. Unfortunately due to politics, not science, it’s better to look arrogant than incompetent.

But again looking at the pie what can you close?

Nothing. We need to continue what we’re doin, distance, masks and hygiene - shame we needed a pandemic to remind us of that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It wasn't that, but that pie chart probably reflects it better than the article I read

I think the bit in bold in the quote above is pretty much what we're going to have to do to get through this.

Now, if everyone in the country was sensible and had half a brain that would work fine. Sadly it seems far too many are not in the least bit sensible and clearly don't even have half a brain when it comes to this.
SteveW is offline   Reply With Quote