Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Pre-wash stages, Washing, Drying, Clay & 'Quick Detailing'
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pre-wash stages, Washing, Drying, Clay & 'Quick Detailing' Discuss All your prewash stages- washing, claying, pre rinse , claying and drying

Old 31-10-2020, 11:40 AM   #1
RoyW80
Washmitt Meister

Clay cloth

Lets talk clay cloths. How do you care for and store them in between uses? I imagine you can’t put them in the washer. Also how many uses do they last for??

Ta

Roy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RoyW80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 01:54 PM   #2
DannyRS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyW80 View Post
Lets talk clay cloths. How do you care for and store them in between uses? I imagine you can’t put them in the washer. Also how many uses do they last for??

Ta

Roy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was definitely sceptical of these till I tried one, and I must say it did a superb job on a totally neglected 6 year old Audi and got the paint silky smooth under a plastic bag test. As with any clay, lots and lots of lubrication is critical for safe use, but also for releasing some of the debris from the "clay". I wasn't sure what to do afterwards either, but ended up dropping it in my wash bucket and giving t a thorough wash out. Then again with a bit of APC and then rinsing it well. Hang to dry. Do not wash in the washer or tumble dry. Should get plenty of uses out of a cloth, but ultimately you have to use your own judgement on when to bin and replace it.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
RoyW80 (31-10-2020)
Old 31-10-2020, 02:04 PM   #3
straight6hatch
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRS3 View Post
I was definitely sceptical of these till I tried one, and I must say it did a superb job on a totally neglected 6 year old Audi and got the paint silky smooth under a plastic bag test. As with any clay, lots and lots of lubrication is critical for safe use, but also for releasing some of the debris from the "clay". I wasn't sure what to do afterwards either, but ended up dropping it in my wash bucket and giving t a thorough wash out. Then again with a bit of APC and then rinsing it well. Hang to dry. Do not wash in the washer or tumble dry. Should get plenty of uses out of a cloth, but ultimately you have to use your own judgement on when to bin and replace it.
This! Pretty much exactly what I was thinking/ ended up doing. I used mine to do glass only on the other halfs utterly abused Audi for window sealant. Works a charm really and a lot less faff than an actual clay bar and lube. Just used the suds from the wash bucket.
straight6hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to straight6hatch For This Useful Post:
RoyW80 (31-10-2020)
Old 31-10-2020, 03:14 PM   #4
Titanium Htail
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,074 Times in 946 Posts
Garage
I have a G3 mitt, plus an AS clay cloth, which when dry we stick to some kitchen greaseproof paper.

These initial cloths from Japan were £40 so more value for money now.

Just use plenty of lube I use car shampoo plus water.

John Tht.
Titanium Htail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 03:30 PM   #5
Andyblue
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 5,314 Times in 4,206 Posts
As above, used the G3 clay mitt and it’s done a great job, use shampoo (good strong mix) as a lube, regularly dunk and let the mitt glide over without pressure.

Wash it thoroughly when done, rinse, remove as much water as possible, then hang up to dry. Once dry I use the piece of cellophane to cover the ‘clay’ and pop back in the bag.
Andyblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 03:54 PM   #6
MBRuss

As above, I just fill my wash bucket with warm soapy water and regularly dunk the mitt back in to top up on lube and also wash any debris off.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
MBRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 09:24 PM   #7
macmaw
Orbital Oracle

Anybody had any marring at all with these clay mitts?
Never tried one yet, looking for something during a decon of ceramic coated paint, hoping to avoid polishing.
macmaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 09:51 PM   #8
Andyblue
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 5,314 Times in 4,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmaw View Post
Never tried one yet, looking for something during a decon of ceramic coated paint, hoping to avoid polishing.

Some say they have / do, I’ve not had any issues...
Andyblue is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andyblue For This Useful Post:
macmaw (31-10-2020)
Old 31-10-2020, 11:05 PM   #9
Christian6984
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 1,668 Times in 1,513 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmaw View Post
Yes in short, always use on glass first and if you think its damaged or worn out just get rid, I know the marring is easily sortable but better to not really have to deal with it, I think some are better than others. I heard the Art De Shine ones are good but cant find the mitt in stock anywhere. I prefer the mitt to the Cloth now. The cloth has more surface area but if you don't use grease proof paper some of mine have bonded themselves together when you fold or roll them up for storage, getting it apart requires some soaking and patience.

The speed is great compared to a regular clay bar, care still required and usually use clay bar first time I buy a used car and then clay cloth/mitt after that. I use mine with ONR rather than regular shampoo. If you did get marring on a ceramic'd car after claying Car Pro Essence Plus could be worth looking at possibly
Christian6984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Christian6984 For This Useful Post:
macmaw (01-11-2020)
Old 31-10-2020, 11:44 PM   #10
HEADPHONES

I'll give my cloth a thorough rinse in a bucket of water.
Then leave hanging over the edge of a bucket to drip dry.
Then fold loosely in half so the clay sides contact as little as possible with each other and place in a box.

Used to use a G3 mitt but now use a Tac Systems clay cloth which is so much easier and flexible to use and follow the contours of the car.

Last edited by HEADPHONES; 01-11-2020 at 12:52 PM.
HEADPHONES is offline   Reply With Quote