Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Motoring Zone Just bought a car? Need advice on a car? Want to chat about cars generally? Here is the place to do it.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
silverback
DW Pimp and GC Moderator

Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,135 Posts
Garage
extending the warranty on my car ????? opinions please

as my cars warranty is coming to a close on june the 1st i was pondering whether to go with the extended warranty at roughly £600 a year.despite having murder with bmw williams liverpool i have the luck of king midas in reverse,by this i mean most of the things i touch turns too **** lol.

the car is a BMW 520d m sport which currently has 28000 miles on it.does anyone have any experience or input on whether its worth it or not ?
Old 03-05-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
SteveTDCi
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,307 Times in 2,750 Posts
Can you get a cheaper aftermarket one ? Whilst I can see the point of them, £600 could buy a few parts if needed. I would take the risk and go without
SteveTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
PugIain
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,050 Times in 2,393 Posts
Garage
Do you really think you'll need it? Thought beemers were built well.
Ive had a warranty on 2 of my cars but never felt like extending them.The warranty on my 407 ran out in Feb so whatever happens Ill be paying now.
PugIain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:39 PM   #4
silverback
DW Pimp and GC Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTDCi View Post
Can you get a cheaper aftermarket one ? Whilst I can see the point of them, £600 could buy a few parts if needed. I would take the risk and go without
after market one is ranging from about £400 ish upto £550,for extra peace of mind i would go for the official one.but its a bit of an issue as i have had a terrible experience at bmw williams once after the car only needing a rear window replacing,so part of me thinks boloocks,£600 on something i may not need and they dont seem to be any better than any other mechanic i have come up against.then the other half of me says "its a dear bloody car when things start going wrong" and £600 for one repair isnt unheard of lol.catch 22.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:16 AM   #5
SteveTDCi
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,307 Times in 2,750 Posts
We have done the least amount of miles in the tt and it's cost the most to keep in the garage nothing has been expensive maf, battery, servicing etc the adjuster for the headlight needs replacing, the rear springs went ..... Remap and exhaust was my doing though.... £600 isn't a massive amount, a dpf on a focus will set you back 1k, I'd still put £600 away and not go for a warranty or spend less on the non official one, providing they give the same level of cover it wouldn't matter too much. How long do you intend to keep it for ?
SteveTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:06 AM   #6
silverback
DW Pimp and GC Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTDCi View Post
We have done the least amount of miles in the tt and it's cost the most to keep in the garage nothing has been expensive maf, battery, servicing etc the adjuster for the headlight needs replacing, the rear springs went ..... Remap and exhaust was my doing though.... £600 isn't a massive amount, a dpf on a focus will set you back 1k, I'd still put £600 away and not go for a warranty or spend less on the non official one, providing they give the same level of cover it wouldn't matter too much. How long do you intend to keep it for ?
I plan on keeping her for a while mate,absolutely love the car. Thank god I don't have kids or a wife as I may have to spend some money on them lol.yeah I see what you mean about saving the 600 as rainy day money. Good point. I do need another rear tyre as its got about 3 months left in it,so I will need £260 set aside for a tyre.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:08 AM   #7
silverback
DW Pimp and GC Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugIain View Post
Do you really think you'll need it? Thought beemers were built well.
Ive had a warranty on 2 of my cars but never felt like extending them.The warranty on my 407 ran out in Feb so whatever happens Ill be paying now.
Always the way mate. I hope it is of good build quality,but christ knows. I have seen people with aston martins who have had nothing but trouble from the day of ownership.I think its VRs carl on hee who has had a nightmare with his skoda. I don't think there is such a thing as bullet proof,I will take a german car over say an alfa for build quality. But there is no guarantees.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:36 AM   #8
B005TED-G
Washmitt Meister

Garage
I've got BMW extended warranty and although I haven't used it yet it's great peace of mind knowing that it's not going to cost a penny when something does go wrong. Take into consideration the cost of parts and labour a relatively simple job will cost you near £600 so if you have a big job it's paid for itself several times over.
B005TED-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #9
Grizzle
Banned

Thanked 3,104 Times in 2,124 Posts
Garage
Send a message via MSN to Grizzle
Get it, for the simple reason that 520d's eat turbos for fun
Grizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
DMH-01
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 5,811 Times in 5,068 Posts
I wouldn't go with an after market warranty as it will be nothing but trouble when you need to use it.

Example...

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/view...p?f=4&t=131631

Tell BMW you have had quotes from other companies, they usually knock something off.
DMH-01 is offline   Reply With Quote