Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Motoring Zone Just bought a car? Need advice on a car? Want to chat about cars generally? Here is the place to do it.

Old 19-03-2020, 02:26 PM   #51
mar00
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollienoclue View Post
A torque converter is designed to slip, that is why they are used in much heavier vehicles, particularly those designed to go forward and backward endlessly all day every day for years on end. It is for this reason that the oil used is pretty special and changed at the required interval.

The little clutches in DSG boxes don't like it, particularly creeping in traffic, this is not a huge secret. Throw in heavier vehicles, inclines and additional loads (as an example, towing) and low speed creeping and it's no surprised they don't like it. It is well covered online.

I'm not too concerned about this or that on a track, that is a wholly different application and down to personal taste.
torque converters are not designed to just slip the car wouldn't move and excess slip cause them to overheat and sign of a problem, free wheeling isn't the same a slippage, they are designed to transmit torque and slip while accelerating then they use a clutch lock to stop slip,

you can cherry pick info from the internet to say anything, but meanwhile in the real world experience says differently, I know countless people in Europe paricualry that only drive VAG cars with the DSG box and never heard anyone say anything other than as already mentioned the hesitation issue, I neven known anyone having to change the clutch packs either,

Last edited by mar00; 20-03-2020 at 10:32 AM.
mar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 02:50 PM   #52
Cole_E91
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Inc View Post
For me kickdown is the most exciting part on the auto 😲🤪😎 That being said, we has a courtesy Corsa once, it had something like an electronically actuated manual transmission which was scaring the **** out of me every when was downshifting on downhill gradients.
It's got better, however considering the vehicle is a re-branded 208... I'll let you judge how it is.
Cole_E91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 10:26 AM   #53
crash486
Sponge Jockey

Absolutely buy a manual. It's great theft protection.

Crash486
crash486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 07:43 PM   #54
SteveTDCi
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,159 Times in 2,637 Posts
Drove a Fabia today that was 4 years old with dsg, it was horrible. Thumps fromgoing between drive and reverse and if you put it in drive on a slope it would roll backwards until you found the bite point.
SteveTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 08:23 PM   #55
mar00
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTDCi View Post
Drove a Fabia today that was 4 years old with dsg, it was horrible. Thumps fromgoing between drive and reverse and if you put it in drive on a slope it would roll backwards until you found the bite point.
it should do that it's a electronicly controled manual box, but autos will do the same on a steep enough hill too,
Old 20-03-2020, 08:59 PM   #56
SteveTDCi
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,159 Times in 2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar00 View Post
it should do that it's a electronicly controled manual box, but autos will do the same on a steep enough hill too,
I've never had that with a proper auto and i have driven plenty.
SteveTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 04:31 PM   #57
mar00
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTDCi View Post
I've never had that with a proper auto and i have driven plenty.
I've driven plently too and experienced it a lot in the mountains especialy reversing up inclines,