Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Interior & Glass
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Interior & Glass Discuss All your Interior Issue - Dash - Seats and All the Car Glass Areas - Interior Dressing, Leather etc | Sponsored by GO Detailing At GO we have a saying which you’ll find on every single bottle; We make it simple, you make it shine. Thirty years in the making and launched in 2020, our purpose at GO is to improve your car care experience by providing world class car care products that offer stunning simplicity and achieve professional results, every time. That’s it. We’ll focus on the product, so you can concentrate on the process and just GO detailing.

Old 18-03-2020, 09:53 PM   #1
atbalfour
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,562 Times in 942 Posts
Garage
Lightbulb Cleaning coated glass

Being a glasses wearer and having a drooling young pup you'd think I would have had plenty of glass cleaning experience but I just can't get to grips with cleaning ceramic coated glass.

I'm wary of applying harsh chemicals that will degrade the G1 / G5 so normally just use a damp towel but I've also used some Autoglym Fast Glass and some household glass cleaner with limited success.

Plush cloths tend to really drag and seem to release lint everywhere

Dedicated glass cloths just don't leave a smear free finish unless I am missing something?
atbalfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 09:45 AM   #2
Itstony

Know where you're coming from. Glass cleaning has a mind of its own, whatever others say, it is not in any way a simple job at times. It is one of the most hardest tasks to get even near right. Adding a glass sealant etc. makes it a lot more annoying imho only.
Hands up personally doubt I've mastered the task. Weekly clean is a minimum elements depending. Close knit glass waffle weave glass cloth (Gtech) €6 to cheap snides €0.60 (both are MIC) they are identical. For first stage with glass either of these with glass cleaner and scrub. Second stage does lint with MF's, so abandoned that ages ago and tried other ways ending up with old discarded rough hand towels to really scrub immediately after first stage and finish off. Of course the have bits fall off but can be blown or wiped off easily. Finish is really squeaky clean!

This is just my own way, not claiming it's best. After the said frustrations and endless attempts to better it, this way has stopped that suffering. Sure this could be improved, but I "Took this to the bank" there and then. It works for me and imho it was a step forward and will do for now until a better solution is shown to me. So not going near sealants again for now.
So please, don't diss it unless you try it first. I'm all ears for bettering this on glass though

Last edited by Itstony; 19-03-2020 at 09:48 AM.
Itstony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itstony For This Useful Post:
atbalfour (19-03-2020)
Old 19-03-2020, 11:46 AM   #3
\Rian

Garage
I use poorboys glass cleaner for cleaning my screen coated in gtechnique G5,

its alcohol and ammonia free and is the most gentle glass cleaner I've used but still cleans streak-free.

Its awesome stuff, really is, I came across this when looking at ways to clean my coated screen, its never impacted the coating
\Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to \Rian For This Useful Post:
atbalfour (19-03-2020)
Old 19-03-2020, 12:09 PM   #4
stonejedi

Thanked 2,204 Times in 1,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
Being a glasses wearer and having a drooling young pup you'd think I would have had plenty of glass cleaning experience but I just can't get to grips with cleaning ceramic coated glass.

I'm wary of applying harsh chemicals that will degrade the G1 / G5 so normally just use a damp towel but I've also used some Autoglym Fast Glass and some household glass cleaner with limited success.

Plush cloths tend to really drag and seem to release lint everywhere

Dedicated glass cloths just don't leave a smear free finish unless I am missing something?
I use Angelwax vision to clean my screen which to add is quite a strong glass cleaner on my windshield that has been coated with H2GO sealant, and it does not seem to degrade the performance of the h2go at all.I usually clean my front windshield if the performance of a recently applied glass sealant looks to be waning i.e...not perform as it should.SJ.
stonejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stonejedi For This Useful Post:
atbalfour (19-03-2020)
Old 19-03-2020, 08:51 PM   #5
atbalfour

Garage
Thanks guys! Will try to refine the technique this weekend and if I have no more success I'll need to try one of those products.
Old 20-03-2020, 10:23 AM   #6
crash486
Sponge Jockey

I discovered that some windscreen additives really remove / degrade coatings , so I found one that cleans quite well and doesn't affect the coating.
Same for cleaning. Went through quite a few till I found the process that seems repeatable and works for me.
Perseverance pays off.

Crash486
crash486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 08:57 PM   #7
atbalfour

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash486 View Post
I discovered that some windscreen additives really remove / degrade coatings , so I found one that cleans quite well and doesn't affect the coating.
Same for cleaning. Went through quite a few till I found the process that seems repeatable and works for me.
Perseverance pays off.

Crash486
Do you mean windscreen wash or glass cleaner? Which products out of interest?
Old 21-03-2020, 08:10 AM   #8
crash486
Sponge Jockey

The windscreen wash additives. Some are quite bad I've read( and I believe what I read).
I'm using a product local to Australia currently to see how it performs. Bowdens Own.
I ask the dealer not to top up the windscreen wash bottle.
I like Adams for general use and then when I think it needs it some windscreen polish, prep and re-coat with current favorite sealant.

Crash486
crash486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 11:03 PM   #9
Eturty

I've found AF crystal + TRC waffle weave an unbeatable combo

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Eturty is offline   Reply With Quote