Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Newbies, Rules & Announcements > Newbies & Introductions.....
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Newbies & Introductions..... Tell us something about you.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-03-2021, 02:58 PM   #1
A[L]C
Unwashed Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He's making a list, he's checking it twice

Hi all,

Apparently I created an account a long time ago! So, the Mrs has a new Toyota Yaris on the way, white with black alloys. Currently trying to persuade her not to keep using the garage drive through washes! I've made the above shopping list and looking for some feedback. What do you think?

Any changes you would make or is there anything I'm missing?
How long do you reckon this lot would last me for?
Any tips to bring the total down?

I'll be doing a machine polish and ceramic coating with a friend who has applied Exo v4 a number of times before.

Thanks!

A[L]C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 04:52 PM   #2
JB052
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,008
Thanks: 1,565
Thanked 343 Times in 306 Posts
Excellent thread title, welcome or welcome back to the forum.
JB052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 06:14 PM   #3
atbalfour
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
atbalfour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 2,329
Thanks: 1,099
Thanked 1,635 Times in 983 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A[L]C View Post
Hi all,

Apparently I created an account a long time ago! So, the Mrs has a new Toyota Yaris on the way, white with black alloys. Currently trying to persuade her not to keep using the garage drive through washes! I've made the above shopping list and looking for some feedback. What do you think?

Any changes you would make or is there anything I'm missing?
How long do you reckon this lot would last me for?
Any tips to bring the total down?

I'll be doing a machine polish and ceramic coating with a friend who has applied Exo v4 a number of times before.

Thanks!

Welcome.. you can tell you've done your research as the list contains decent products and is pretty comprehensive. I can't help bring the total down however... detailing is primarily a hobby for me and I find there are few genuine shortcuts to achieve great end results efficiently.

The few suggestions I would make presuming you haven't yet purchased anything and that they don't upset your logistics of buying from the same select sites.

For shampoo I was so unimpressed with Bathe Essence I gave it away. Super concentrated, yes, but there are at least 5 better shampoos out there IMO. Generally you won't go too far wrong with shampoos and the margins are
small but based on the tens of shampoo I've tried I have a clear favourite of TAC Systems Mystic Bubble - it's a cheaper, slicker version of CarPro Reset (which itself is amazing).

For a glass cleaner I would tend to stick with the same brand as your glass coating because products have been tested to work together. Not just in prepping for it but maintaining it thereafter. I'd go for CarPro Clarify.

Tar and Glue remover... if you are maintaining just your own cars it'll take you decades to get through a bottle of Tardis, as good as it is. I love CarPro TarX because it is equally effective, available in smaller quantities and it smells great... i.e. doesn't leave cloths/drive forever smelling of solvent.

KKD Revolve is a great product for wheels BUT it is not a user friendly coating at all. If your wheels are a dark colour, especially gloss black you will need to remove the residue after applying (you can get away with not removing the residue on light coloured alloys as it self-levels really well). It is extremely grippy to remove, proper elbow grease is required and any high spot you miss and want to remove is going to require extreme effort (likely a wheel refurb) to remove... so definitely would reconsider if just starting out and your alloys are dark or of an intricate design... even for your friend, Exo V4 does not prepare you for the more involved sticky removal of Revolve.. if you do go for it you may want to practice on your wheel barrels first and divide in quarters. Also if you've dark coloured alloys, I'd also consider replacing the EZ detail brush with a Wheel Woolie.. as the EZ brush have been proven to leave subtle scratches behind which again are more noticeable on dark colours.

Buy Koch Chemie FSE in place of Gyeon Water Spot... it's a really nice product to use as a QD while also removing water spots periodically. Water Spot is a one trick pony and when something as versatile as FSE exists I just wouldn't bother with it.

For interior plastics, PERL is too shiny, for exterior plastics it washes off after a number of weeks. I would personally coat them with any remaining Mohs you have left, alternatively buy a dedicated plastic protectant like Gyeon Trim, Gtechniq C4 or Solution Finish for a long lasting result that won't just wash off.

I haven't used the Klin Korea Wash Pad but I just can't imagine anything better than the Rag Company Cyclones which are cheaper too. I have always avoided the Klin Korea ones because when I tried an unbranded carbon copy of one it was too thick to properly grip (unless you have huge hands) and heavy when loaded with water/suds.

I notice you don't have a tyre cleaner listed, Surfex at 10:1 or neat will get you 70% of the way there but a dedicated Tyre and Rubber cleaner like AutoGlanz Rebound is a far more effective cleaner and leaves behind a much fresher surface for your dressing (which I assume is PERL, which is lovely looking on Tyres but doesn't last longer than a rain shower).

Hope this helps!! While I try to avoid making subjective statements all detailing is to some extent... if you went with all the products you had in your list you'd not get massively different end results being truthful.

Last edited by atbalfour; 15-03-2021 at 06:18 PM.
atbalfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 06:55 PM   #4
Andyblue
Distinguished Detailer
 
Andyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Not where I should be :)
Posts: 10,825
Thanks: 5,129
Thanked 6,570 Times in 5,159 Posts
Hi and welcome to DW

Enjoy yourself here
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 07:17 PM   #5
JU5T1N
PC Perfectionist
 
JU5T1N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 432
Thanks: 61
Thanked 189 Times in 141 Posts
You don't need the bug and grime remover surfex or tardis will easily remove bugs.
JU5T1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 10:00 PM   #6
grunty-motor
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
grunty-motor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Aberdeen, UK
Posts: 982
Thanks: 238
Thanked 587 Times in 480 Posts
Garage
Amazing how the price quickly mounts up!!!

I wouldnt bother with the wetcoat.

Also, have you a spray bottle for the Surfex?
grunty-motor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 10:16 PM   #7
atbalfour
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
atbalfour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 2,329
Thanks: 1,099
Thanked 1,635 Times in 983 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunty-motor View Post
Amazing how the price quickly mounts up!!!

I wouldnt bother with the wetcoat.

Also, have you a spray bottle for the Surfex?
Jeez didn't see that.. agree.. dreadful product.
atbalfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 10:28 PM   #8
TakDetails
Washmitt Meister
 
TakDetails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Midlands
Posts: 264
Thanks: 746
Thanked 141 Times in 123 Posts
Welcome!
Your well planned out list looks good aswell as the recommendations of those above.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TakDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 12:39 AM   #9
A[L]C
Unwashed Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
Welcome.. you can tell you've done your research as the list contains decent products and is pretty comprehensive. I can't help bring the total down however... detailing is primarily a hobby for me and I find there are few genuine shortcuts to achieve great end results efficiently.

The few suggestions I would make presuming you haven't yet purchased anything and that they don't upset your logistics of buying from the same select sites.

For shampoo I was so unimpressed with Bathe Essence I gave it away. Super concentrated, yes, but there are at least 5 better shampoos out there IMO. Generally you won't go too far wrong with shampoos and the margins are
small but based on the tens of shampoo I've tried I have a clear favourite of TAC Systems Mystic Bubble - it's a cheaper, slicker version of CarPro Reset (which itself is amazing).

For a glass cleaner I would tend to stick with the same brand as your glass coating because products have been tested to work together. Not just in prepping for it but maintaining it thereafter. I'd go for CarPro Clarify.

Tar and Glue remover... if you are maintaining just your own cars it'll take you decades to get through a bottle of Tardis, as good as it is. I love CarPro TarX because it is equally effective, available in smaller quantities and it smells great... i.e. doesn't leave cloths/drive forever smelling of solvent.

KKD Revolve is a great product for wheels BUT it is not a user friendly coating at all. If your wheels are a dark colour, especially gloss black you will need to remove the residue after applying (you can get away with not removing the residue on light coloured alloys as it self-levels really well). It is extremely grippy to remove, proper elbow grease is required and any high spot you miss and want to remove is going to require extreme effort (likely a wheel refurb) to remove... so definitely would reconsider if just starting out and your alloys are dark or of an intricate design... even for your friend, Exo V4 does not prepare you for the more involved sticky removal of Revolve.. if you do go for it you may want to practice on your wheel barrels first and divide in quarters. Also if you've dark coloured alloys, I'd also consider replacing the EZ detail brush with a Wheel Woolie.. as the EZ brush have been proven to leave subtle scratches behind which again are more noticeable on dark colours.

Buy Koch Chemie FSE in place of Gyeon Water Spot... it's a really nice product to use as a QD while also removing water spots periodically. Water Spot is a one trick pony and when something as versatile as FSE exists I just wouldn't bother with it.

For interior plastics, PERL is too shiny, for exterior plastics it washes off after a number of weeks. I would personally coat them with any remaining Mohs you have left, alternatively buy a dedicated plastic protectant like Gyeon Trim, Gtechniq C4 or Solution Finish for a long lasting result that won't just wash off.

I haven't used the Klin Korea Wash Pad but I just can't imagine anything better than the Rag Company Cyclones which are cheaper too. I have always avoided the Klin Korea ones because when I tried an unbranded carbon copy of one it was too thick to properly grip (unless you have huge hands) and heavy when loaded with water/suds.

I notice you don't have a tyre cleaner listed, Surfex at 10:1 or neat will get you 70% of the way there but a dedicated Tyre and Rubber cleaner like AutoGlanz Rebound is a far more effective cleaner and leaves behind a much fresher surface for your dressing (which I assume is PERL, which is lovely looking on Tyres but doesn't last longer than a rain shower).

Hope this helps!! While I try to avoid making subjective statements all detailing is to some extent... if you went with all the products you had in your list you'd not get massively different end results being truthful.
Wow amazing reply, thank you very much! I'll definitely take it all on board and make some changes. Good to know about the revolve as it has black alloys!

Shame you don't really rate PERL, I'd heard good things about it.

Re Tardis vs CarPro TarX... Tardis is actually cheaper for twice the amount (500ml vs 1l) do you still recommend TarX instead?

For glass, I'd actually swapped after posting my list to Angelwax Vision and H2go - thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunty-motor View Post
I wouldnt bother with the wetcoat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
Jeez didn't see that.. agree.. dreadful product.
Interesting! I know Jon at forensic detailing is a fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunty-motor View Post
Also, have you a spray bottle for the Surfex?
Nope, good point I need some bottles, thanks!


I'm seriously considering dropping the Syncro and going for something like TAC Moonlight (although it seems to be out of stock everywhere) or Cancoat. What do you think?
A[L]C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 04:28 AM   #10
DetailedClean
Dw Trader
 
DetailedClean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Posts: 2,631
Thanks: 323
Thanked 545 Times in 457 Posts
Hello & Welcome to DW
DetailedClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors