Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-03-2021, 09:10 PM   #1
Sheep
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Sheep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 1,550
Thanks: 884
Thanked 1,321 Times in 576 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Sheep
Mothers is expanding their lineup!

Looks like mothers is about to release a new line of Ceramic infused products, including a Liquid Wax, Spray Coating/wax, a Spray Coating/wax detailer, as well as a clay kit including the detailer and a synthetic clay. Bottles are similar to CMX, so 24 oz for the sprays, and a 16oz for the "Ultimate Hybrid Ceramic Wax". Curious naming scheme they have going on, wonder if Meguiars is readying their lawyers.

The most interesting part of this is that the Ultimate Hybrid Ceramic wax includes abrasives as well as the ceramic/wax infusion. This would one up their 3n1 Polish N Coat, no word on instructions or durability claims as the bottles aren't yet available to buy.

https://mothers.com/collections/ultimate-hybrid
Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 09:47 PM   #2
atbalfour
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
atbalfour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 2,329
Thanks: 1,099
Thanked 1,635 Times in 983 Posts
Garage
I will never buy a product from a company who sells a "1-Step Ceramic Clay & Coat" ... what idiots.
atbalfour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to atbalfour For This Useful Post:
Rappy (13-03-2021)
Old 13-03-2021, 09:54 PM   #3
Rappy
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 1,698
Thanks: 1,112
Thanked 948 Times in 796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
I will never buy a product from a company who sells a "1-Step Ceramic Clay & Coat" ... what idiots.
Agreed. And the packaging is shocking!
Rappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 10:31 PM   #4
Sheep
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Sheep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 1,550
Thanks: 884
Thanked 1,321 Times in 576 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Sheep
Quote:
Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
I will never buy a product from a company who sells a "1-Step Ceramic Clay & Coat" ... what idiots.
Meguiars has the same product. You never going to buy a meguiars product again? Autoglym as well (although they give you SRP to apply after).

https://www.autoglym.com/clay-detailing-complete-kit

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/...hybrid-ceramic

Since QDs are often used for clay lubricants, it's expected for that product to be used in the same fashion. The difference here is that it has a stronger protection element than your normal spray detailer/lube, so the end results is a clay lube that lasts. If I am running short on time, I would benefit from having some protection after claying until I can get to polishing and finishing off the car at a later date. I just decon'd my Prius today and it gets to drive home without any protection as I ran out of time. That kit would technically leave me in a better spot than I am now.

Do I think it's a good way to go about claying? No. Do I think it will work, and leave behind protection? Yes.
Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sheep For This Useful Post:
Imperialjim (17-03-2021), Saladin (13-03-2021)
Old 13-03-2021, 11:07 PM   #5
atbalfour
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
atbalfour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 2,329
Thanks: 1,099
Thanked 1,635 Times in 983 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
Meguiars has the same product. You never going to buy a meguiars product again? Autoglym as well (although they give you SRP to apply after).



https://www.autoglym.com/clay-detailing-complete-kit



https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/...hybrid-ceramic



Since QDs are often used for clay lubricants, it's expected for that product to be used in the same fashion. The difference here is that it has a stronger protection element than your normal spray detailer/lube, so the end results is a clay lube that lasts. If I am running short on time, I would benefit from having some protection after claying until I can get to polishing and finishing off the car at a later date. I just decon'd my Prius today and it gets to drive home without any protection as I ran out of time. That kit would technically leave me in a better spot than I am now.



Do I think it's a good way to go about claying? No. Do I think it will work, and leave behind protection? Yes.
Well to answer your first question no, weirdly no I don't use either but I did when I was starting out... The Autoglym offering is completely irrelevant to this as SRP is included. As for the other two, they are brands designed for a certain type of consumer and market who know nothing about detailing really. The odd good (never market leading) product in there hardly a surprise given the R&D budget but products like this just annoy me.

The idea that you can go from claying to protecting is just stupid and that doesn't need any explanation why. Qds are used because they're slick and accessible for people too cheap to buy clay lube, no other reason.

Your specific user case is a strange one, why would you clay before you polish and not on that day?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited by atbalfour; 13-03-2021 at 11:09 PM.
atbalfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 11:33 PM   #6
Sheep
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Sheep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 1,550
Thanks: 884
Thanked 1,321 Times in 576 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Sheep
Quote:
Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
Well to answer your first question no, weirdly no I don't use either but I did when I was starting out... The Autoglym offering is completely irrelevant to this as SRP is included. As for the other two, they are brands designed for a certain type of consumer and market who know nothing about detailing really. The odd good (never market leading) product in there hardly a surprise given the R&D budget but products like this just annoy me.

The idea that you can go from claying to protecting is just stupid and that doesn't need any explanation why. Qds are used because they're slick and accessible for people too cheap to buy clay lube, no other reason.

Your specific user case is a strange one, why would you clay before you polish and not on that day?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
Lets clear a couple things up.

1.) You operate in absolutes. You have the skills, resources, and knowledge to detail cars to the nth degree. This is great, it means that you follow best practices, and only use the absolute best products, in the best possible way. This is also completely unrealistic for the majority of people buying these products. If Meguiars or Mothers only offered products at the levels you use, they would probably go out of business, or at least lose the majority of their sales.

2.) Since the majority of people purchasing these products do not have the same level of knowledge, experience, or time as you and I, it's is very reasonable to expect them to try to use the easiest, cheapest solution on the market, that saves time while still improving their car in the fashion it advertises. Yes, claying without some sort of polish will usually mean that some form of marring will be left behind. But in my case like today, I can simply go home, waterless/rinseless wash my car in my garage, and continue on. Even if I left it for a week, a quick re-claying after washing again will remove any other bonded contaminants that may have returned, and still be faster than if I didn't do the initial round today.

I also disagree that's it's pointless. It WILL clay the car, and the protective properties of the Detailer will still be on the paint. So yes, maybe some slight marring might appear, but the gloss and slickness improvements will still be there over a non clayed car. It's like saying vacuuming the house is pointless if you can't also mop/steam the floors after. it will make the floors better, but not their absolute best.

OK, tell me I'm wrong and maybe mention Polished Angel while you're at it.
Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sheep For This Useful Post:
Imperialjim (17-03-2021)
Old 13-03-2021, 11:53 PM   #7
atbalfour
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
atbalfour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 2,329
Thanks: 1,099
Thanked 1,635 Times in 983 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
Lets clear a couple things up.

1.) You operate in absolutes. You have the skills, resources, and knowledge to detail cars to the nth degree. This is great, it means that you follow best practices, and only use the absolute best products, in the best possible way. This is also completely unrealistic for the majority of people buying these products. If Meguiars or Mothers only offered products at the levels you use, they would probably go out of business, or at least lose the majority of their sales.

2.) Since the majority of people purchasing these products do not have the same level of knowledge, experience, or time as you and I, it's is very reasonable to expect them to try to use the easiest, cheapest solution on the market, that saves time while still improving their car in the fashion it advertises. Yes, claying without some sort of polish will usually mean that some form of marring will be left behind. But in my case like today, I can simply go home, waterless/rinseless wash my car in my garage, and continue on. Even if I left it for a week, a quick re-claying after washing again will remove any other bonded contaminants that may have returned, and still be faster than if I didn't do the initial round today.

I also disagree that's it's pointless. It WILL clay the car, and the protective properties of the Detailer will still be on the paint. So yes, maybe some slight marring might appear, but the gloss and slickness improvements will still be there over a non clayed car. It's like saying vacuuming the house is pointless if you can't also mop/steam the floors after. it will make the floors better, but not their absolute best.

OK, tell me I'm wrong and maybe mention Polished Angel while you're at it.
Bear in mind this is a DETAILing forum. If you're happy with your clay and protect one steps that is fantastic. Combine that with the rinseless washing and you've got a truly outstanding combination provided there isn't a light source in sight. Long may you continue to do side by side comparisons of the Halfords sale bin and wonder why nobody is interested.
atbalfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 12:14 AM   #8
Sheep
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Sheep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 1,550
Thanks: 884
Thanked 1,321 Times in 576 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Sheep
Quote:
Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
Bear in mind this is a DETAILing forum. If you're happy with your clay and protect one steps that is fantastic. Combine that with the rinseless washing and you've got a truly outstanding combination provided there isn't a light source in sight. Long may you continue to do side by side comparisons of the Halfords sale bin and wonder why nobody is interested.
Ha. So everyone here is using PA stuff then right? Everyone should use full blown ceramic coatings, even though they don't have a dry, temperature controlled garage to safely apply and cure them? Everyone has their limits, be it skill, money, facilities, or all combined. Having options for different levels of users is the key here. Just like anything in life, you need to walk before you run. By having these products, Mothers and Meguiars is starting these customers down a path, one that could eventually lead them to other products and levels in the detailing industry. The UHCW also contains abrasives, so it would be a natural follow up to that clay kit. I'm willing to bet the back of the box says "for best results, follow up with UHCW".

Mike Phillips has already tested out the UHCW on autogeek, and the results look quite good.
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-phillips.html
Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 04:06 AM   #9
moncris
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 90
Thanks: 0
Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
I'm a fan of Mothers products, although I think the "coat while you clay" is not a good idea.
moncris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 08:41 AM   #10
Woodsmoke
Washmitt Meister
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 244
Thanks: 32
Thanked 69 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moncris View Post
I'm a fan of Mothers products, although I think the "coat while you clay" is not a good idea.
It may not be a great idea, but its got a niche and lets be fair business is about getting cash.
Woodsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors