Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here. Sponsored by CleanYourCar

Old 25-09-2020, 10:59 AM   #1
Chris Donaldson
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Smart repairs vs ceramic coats

I take delivery of a brand new BMW soon and the dealer has offered me cosmetic damage insurance (scratch and dent), the company they use is Shine. I’m quite interested in this as the car is on PCP and being an X3 it has quite a flat front that’s prone to chipping. The car will also be driven by my wife and have my 5 year old in it a lot so father than losing my cool over the slightest bit of damage the idea of an instant repair sounds good to me. I’ve seen a car that the local Shine guy worked on and the standard looked good. My biggest concern is I’m planning on having the car ceramic coated with CQuartz and don’t know if that would affect any repairs/stone chip filling/scratch filling etc?

Anyone got any advice on the insurance and what would happen if they came to do a minor repair on a car that’s coated?
Chris Donaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 11:16 AM   #2
washingitagain
PC Perfectionist

I'd assume it'd be removed as part of the panel prep then down to you to put it back.

On side point, would stone chips be included in the cover?
washingitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 11:44 AM   #3
DannyRS3

DO NOT ceramic coat the car until the repairs are complete. They can cause serious adhesion issues for paint repair, and are difficult to remove. Always inform your body shop of smart repair guy if there is ceramic on the car.

Undiluted surfex hd will strip ceramic, but most panel wipe will not, and while they will sand or scuff paint before spraying, cermaic can get into nooks and crannies and that will cause the clear coat to lift, or fish eye.
Old 25-09-2020, 12:57 PM   #4
steveo3002
Mr Sparkle

Thanked 1,444 Times in 1,084 Posts
Send a message via MSN to steveo3002
not sure smart repairs and my idea of an immaculate paint job go together

while theres some decent smart repair's theres a great deal of shocking bodge jobs , so dont go thinking they will dust in invisible paint repairs all over the car , theyre more the standard to satisfy the average uninterested punter
steveo3002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 01:02 PM   #5
m0bov

Send a message via Skype™ to m0bov
Get it protected with clear paint shield.
m0bov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 03:08 PM   #6
Chris Donaldson

Quote:
Originally Posted by washingitagain View Post
On side point, would stone chips be included in the cover?
Yes they are on this particular policy. It also has no limit on the number of times you use it and there痴 no excess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRS3 View Post
DO NOT ceramic coat the car until the repairs are complete.
Just to clarify, I知 buying a brand new car and having it ceramic coated. I知 talking about buying an insurance policy covering dent, scratch and chip repair over 3 years and want to know what issues the ceramic coating being on the car would cause IF any chips etc were sprayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0bov View Post
Get it protected with clear paint shield.
I知 not going to pay a fortune to have PPF applied.
Chris Donaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 03:55 PM   #7
sshooie
Orbital Oracle

Personally for the sake of 3 years I'd swerve the coating and just go for the insurance if you are concerned about marks, (I'd have neither and go smart repair ad hoc) regardless of the quality of the repair the SP must be they should pass the BVRLA inspection?
sshooie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 06:42 PM   #8
DannyRS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Donaldson View Post
Yes they are on this particular policy. It also has no limit on the number of times you use it and there痴 no excess.

Just to clarify, I知 buying a brand new car and having it ceramic coated. I知 talking about buying an insurance policy covering dent, scratch and chip repair over 3 years and want to know what issues the ceramic coating being on the car would cause IF any chips etc were sprayed.

I知 not going to pay a fortune to have PPF applied.
Sorry I should have read you 1st post better. Yes, ceramic coating absolutely will effect smart repairs, and you may find some smart repair guys really aren't familiar with ceramics either. Either way, any repair on a coated car you will want to inform them it is coated, and maybe have a go at removing it yourself before the repair just to be safe.